I Think I Smell a Rat
For days now, I cannot get this song out of my head.
No, not because of my love of the White Stripes or my ”mostly attracted to, but slightly repulsed by” Jack White crush, but because my house has rats.
(I’m sorry, Mom. I know this is pretty much your worst nightmare. I was hopeful the title might have scared you off.)
The good news is I wasn’t here for the worst of it – although living vicariously through the friend staying at my place’s mortified texts and PHOTOS once she forcibly (fought one
on with one of my large kitchen spoons while it came at her and bit scratches into the other end of the spoon) caught two of them on sticky traps will provide excellent PTSD fodder for years to come – or was I?
See, I don’t know.
And I’m not sure what rats smell like, but I keep waking up at all hours and creeping around my house both hopeful (?) and terrified I will discover something and thinking I smell something “weird.”
Here are the facts as they stand:
1. They tore down two dilapidated houses next door. Three days later, I have rats.
2. Despite my $1600 a month plus utilities rent, my landlord is a total slumlord bastard. Nothing is fixed. Nothing gets repaired. The place is probably six months from falling in on itself. He’s also prone to threatening to evict me – or maybe worse. The notes say things like “you won’t like what I’ll do.” Maybe he means release a bunch of rats? – because he hallucinates that he hears the dog howling. At 3 a.m. When the dog is asleep. And I’m home. And the only creatures stirring are a bunch of rats.
3. One of the other renters here in Hell seems to function as a de facto maintenance man, but he is clearly terrified of the prospect of actually encountering one of these buggers. Not exactly confidence-boosting. He recommended I put out a bowl of Pine Sol.
4. My cat doesn’t give a sh*t. He was apparently sitting on the counter a few feet away from two of them (yes. They frequent my kitchen counter and knock stuff down. Which makes me want to firehose this place with bleach.) begging for his supper. Who can blame him? They’re practically his size. Or maybe he thinks I’ve added to the family. Welcome, Ratatouille, Squeaker, and Meningitis!
4. My dog wants to kill, but I don’t really want him developing a blood lust or have the experience of murdering smallish animals inside our 750-square foot house. See: 9-pound cat.
5. Same de facto maintenance guy “plugged all the holes” leading into this place and put some sticky traps under my stove. The rat(s) drug them both across the house, took some dumps on them, shook free (I found the traps face down in the middle of the room) and – presumably – are now trapped inside here somewhere.
6. Arson sounds nice.
Tags: Considering leaving Maui people. For real. Not just because of the rats but it's definitely on the Top 10 list., I don't want to involve poison because of the pets, I hate rats, I have rats, I'm feeling much more directed these days. Make that directed about working on my own stuff. I don't really want to do half the other things I do to pay said extortionist rent., Le sigh., Pine Sol is apparently rat kryptonite but where are they supposed to go to avoid it now that they entry holes are plugged?, Rats suck, Sorry for the absence. Again., This is pretty much my worst nightmare minus being trapped in a basement and being forced to take the lotion from the basket